Amidst the difficulties in life, sources of inspiration spark joy and hope. CEO of Zappos, Tony Hsieh imparted seven motivational tips that everyone can relate to.
For 20 years in the position, Hsieh will retire at the age of forty-six years old. Years when he graduated from Harvard University, he joined the company (formerly known as ShoeSite.com) and made it trailblazing. In 2009, Zappos was sold to Amazon for $1.9 billion.
When the Onlineshop industry was not yet prominent back then, people are afraid to purchase shoes online. According to Hsieh, they assure their customers by increasing the customer’s experience by providing free shipping.
“Even though free shipping of both orders and returns has cost us more, it has enabled us to keep our customers longer,” Hsieh said.
At present, Zappos does not only offer shoes. It sells handbags and apparel and even housewares and pots and pans. Hsieh stated that Zappos does not focus only on selling shoes but delivering the best customer experience.
Here are the following motivational tips that Tony Hsieh shared:
- “There’s a big difference between motivation and inspiration: Inspire through values and motivation takes care of itself.”
- “Have fun. The game is a lot more enjoyable when you’re trying to do more than just make money.”
- “For individuals, the character is destiny. For organizations, culture is destiny. ”
- “Our belief is that if you get the culture right, most of the other stuff, like great customer service or building a great long-term brand or empowering passionate employees and customers will happen on its own.”
- “Don’t be cocky. Don’t be flashy. There’s always someone better than you.”
- “People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said but they always remember how you made them feel, that’s what matters the most.”
- “If anyone’s ever interacted with an alpaca, you know you just can’t help but laugh.”